Despite economic uncertainty and continued dislocations caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, 2021 was a strong year for Lakewood Advisors, LLC as we broadened the range of industries we cover and the types of transactions we advise on.
While our core strengths remain our expertise and contacts in media and media technology companies and our relationships with Japanese technology companies, 2021 saw LWA work with a broad array of companies and advise on our first pharmaceutical industry M&A project.
Several of our significant accomplishments in 2021 included the following:
- LWA advised American Industrial Acquisition Corp on the sale of its US pharmaceutical portfolio company and the renegotiation of its largest customer’s contract. LWA’s US and Japanese teams worked together with AIAC’s other advisors on this transaction. LWA partners now serve on the Companies advisory board.
- LWA represented a US Space Services Company in the negotiation of a joint venture with a leading Japanese manufacturing company. This joint venture is developing deep space logistics services including space debris removal.
- LWA was engaged to raise funds to support the launch of a new combat sports league that will be debuting to a television audience in 2023.
- LWA served as financial advisor to the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra on its return-to-work negotiations following a 14 months Covid shutdown of America’s premier opera company. Under difficult circumstances, a four-year agreement was reached that preserved the jobs, compensation and benefits of this talented group of musicians. LWA also represented other artistic groups at the MET including the music librarians, associate musicians, and music staff.
- LWA advised a Japanese electronics manufacturer on a minority investment and distribution agreement in a company supplying the technology for remote video capture for television broadcasters.
- LWA advised a major UK private lender in the settlement of litigation involving the purchase of a US marketing services company.
- As advisor to a major global manufacturer, we continued to develop the strategy and participate in the renegotiation of the company’s labor agreements. The company was significantly affected by COVID-19 and the changes to its labor agreements enabled it to reduce costs and successfully deal with the pandemic, without a loss of employee jobs.
- LWA continues to represent a large US hedge fund on its investment in a leading online student loan company. Ed Grebow serves on the Board of this company.
- As 2021 ended, LWA was representing a Japanese electronics manufacturer in the negotiation of an investment, OEM license and global distribution agreement with a US software company supplying broadcast distribution and playout technology.
During 2021 there were two significant additions to the LWA team:
Seigo Kashii, joined LWA as an Operating Partner to lead our Japanese pharmaceutical practice. Kashii-san is the fourth senior Japanese executive to join the LWA team. During his career, Kashii has held senior positions with Astellas Pharma Inc., Novartis Pharma KK and Healios KK. Kashii-san received a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree from Kyoto College of Pharmacy and a law degree from the University of Kobe. He is a licensed registered pharmacist in Japan.
David Stringer joined LWA as a Senior Associate. David is an attorney with a strong interest in sports and media. David is a graduate of Dule University and Brooklyn Law school and was recently admitted to the NY Bar.
2022 has begun strongly and LWA is actively engaged in fundraising, M&A and advisory projects in the US and Japan. We are looking forward to once again being able to travel and personally engage with our clients and partners across the globe.