A full year has now passed since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result of this crisis America’s business climate changed dramatically and in unexpected ways. As vaccinations become more widespread and business begins to recover, it is a good time to reflect on the past year. Lakewood Advisors, LLC had a remarkably strong period of growth over the past 12 months and worked with a wide range of clients on important projects. Many of the projects we worked on were a result of our strong Japanese partners and our unusual ability to bring US and Japanese firms together. While historically, LWA primarily worked with media technology companies, this past year saw a significant broadening of the types of clients we represent. Several of our significant accomplishments over the past year were as follows:
- LWA represented an early-stage US electric truck company raising pre-IPO funds to support the development of electric vehicles. LWA’s Japanese partners identified potential Japanese investors and commercial partners interested in the development of electric trucks and the ecosystem to support those vehicles.
- LWA represented a Japanese broadcast television technology company looking to expand in the US through acquisition. LWA brought potential acquisitions to this company and also assisted in the hiring of a new President for their US operations.
- LWA represented a US video game company seeking investment capital in Japan. LWA’s Japanese partners arranged introductions to several global firms involved in the gaming industry.
- Outside of Japan, LWA represented a major UK based lender in the successful sale of a US marketing services company that it acquired from a defaulted borrower.
- Representing a large hedge fund, we served on the board of directors of a leading online private student loan company which is rapidly growing and considering its strategic alternatives.
- As Chairman of the Special Committee, we led the process that resulted in the sale of a publicly traded Business Development Company to another BDC.
- As Lead Director and Chairman of the Audit Committee of a publicly traded oil services company, we led the process that ultimately resulted in the restructuring of the Company during the severe industry downturn caused by COVID-19.
- As advisor to a major global manufacturer, we developed the strategy and participated in the renegotiation of the company’s labor agreements. The company was significantly affected by COVID-19 and the changes to its labor agreements enabled it to reduce costs and successfully deal with the pandemic, without a loss of employee jobs.
2021 has begun strongly and LWA is actively engaged in media and industrial projects in the US and Japan. We are looking forward to once again being able to personally engage with our clients and partners across the globe.